St Joe's Blog

St Joe's Blog

Friday 18 July 2008

Winners of the Playground Project - by Mr Condon

As you know, Year 6 have been very busy recently working on a playground project. The aim was to present a bid for improving the school playground.The children worked in teams consisting of a Project Co-ordinator, Budget Manager, Health & Safety Officer, Surveyor, Designer, Log-Keeper and Market Researcher. The children were were regularly joined by Mr Terry, a Volunteer from the finance sector HSBC (who was also in civil engineering) who helped the children particularly with budgeting, presentation skills and team work.The children needed to measure, design, budget, undertake market research and investigate health and safety issues regarding the playground.

Earlier this week, each team presented their proposal to myself and gave me the opportunity to ask questions. I was amazed with the way in which the children organised and presented their ideas. Sometimes as a Headteacher I need to present ideas and information to groups of adults, so I know how difficult it is. Each team demonstrated that they had considered the needs of the school in depth and had put their imaginative ideas into detailed plans. But which team had the most effective proposal?

I will be meeting Year 6 to share my judgement later today!

No comments: