St Joe's Blog

St Joe's Blog

Saturday 22 March 2008

Y5P Narrative Poetry

As part of their poetry topic, Y5P enjoyed reading and studying The Highwayman by Alfred Noyes. They particularly liked the powerful imagery in the poem and the author's use of similes and metaphors . Below, is an example of writing produced during the topic.
From Tim, the Ostler's Diary
Dear Diary,
Today I saw Mr Highwayman sing to Bess, the landlord's daughter, I felt rotten. She was plaiting a love knot into her hair and she lowered it down for him to kiss! He blushed as red as a rose. She would never do that for me. He is a thief, I am not. I don't go out and steal, I found a job and get paid. He was whispering how he was going to take her away on his horse. If he ever tries, I will kill his horse!

The landlord's black eyed daughter, with her fine black hair, will be going away with that thing! She will be in prison before she is 16 years old. I will not trust him with my future wife. He will not get away with this like he gets away with everything else. I will first tell the landlord. No! He might kick me out for offending his daughter. What should I do........?

AAHH! I will get King George's army to wait for her and Mr Highwayman, then they will threaten her with a gun so she will not scream or tell anyone. There will be death at all windows and hell at one dark window. Yes, yes, yes!!! I've got it!

The Thoughts of Bess
I am in my long house with a musket gun under my breast. I don't know what to do. The love of my life is coming to get me and he will get killed. I can't move my hands because they have tied me up. I feel like I am in hell! My hands are covered in sweat and blood.

I can't think how I will save him? How will I save the highwayman? It keeps going round and round in my head. I wish I was brainier, then I could think of a way. Someone come and rescue me from these soldiers. I'm not even 16 and I am going through this. I know what to do. If I can just get hold of the lever - I can hear him coming - BANG!
By Mirhaed.

2 comments:

Mr. Condon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mr. Condon said...

Fantastic writing. It's one of my favourite narrative poems. Well done Y5P.