St Joe's Blog

St Joe's Blog

Sunday 19 October 2008

World War II Dunkirk

During their topic on World War II, Y5/6 looked at what happened at Dunkirk. They tried to imagine how soldiers, or rescuers, would have felt at that time and wrote diary entries. Below are two of the entries from Y5/6P

Dear Diary,
Standing here, near the edge of the cold, turquoise sea, my feet sinking in the sand and my spine vibrating, I am desperately hoping that I will be rescued by tonight.
Seconds pass, minutes pass- even hours pass and still no boat. I am scared, scared that I might be one of the unlucky ones - not being rescued, not going home to my family.
Thoughts after thoughts, my head can't take it any more. Then, in the middle of a flashback - Yes! A 15 man boat. I am one of the lucky ones.
Rhianna

Dear Diary,
I was really, really scared. I haven't seen my family yet. I am shaking. I was standing on the sandy beach. My feet were sinking into the ground. "Lord, take me now." I said. Then the sea was crashing against my feet and I saw a boat coming to collect me. I was really glad.
Anna

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What great writing. You've done an amazing job at describing how people might have felt in that situation.

Mr Condon