St Joe's Blog

St Joe's Blog

Thursday 2 July 2009

Years 5 and 6 have been studying the poem 'The Wrong Flowers' by Brenda Cook. We looked at differences and how people are treated because of them. In the poem, Brenda Cook looked back over her life and we saw how life changed for her over time. Below are some of the poems we wrote about changes in our lives.

I am me

When I was small
I used to feel like I was living inside a tree
I had so many things to do
I had things to see, things to climb.
I could trust anything and anyone.
So many ambitions
So many dreams
But then someone cut down that tree and I began to age.

I began to get older.
More worried about things.
Words hurt me more than they did before.
I had new friends than I did before.
I had a new dream to be a mechanic.
I wanted to be small again on that tree.
But now I have a new tree.
But I know that someone will cut it down, eventually.

When I grow up and I am tall,
I’ll be that tree I use to climb.
I’ll fulfil my dreams and have a laugh.
But the best bit is I’ll get to be
ME.
By Morgan

Before, Now, Later
Entering my new school,
Nervously stepping in to class
Confusingly looking around
Trying to find something I liked.

Looking up, straight at my teacher
Taking an unsteady step,
Finding an empty space
Sitting at a table in the front.

Now I am confident, happy
Chatty and having many friends
Going along with the daily routine
Finding that I am enjoying myself.

Never afraid to speak up.
Fitting in with the rest.
Playing the friendly games.
Enjoying every day of the year.

Looking towards my future
Sometimes I'm scared to move on
Trying to make time go slower
Hoping I'll make the right choices.

Maybe I'll be famous in the future
I'm not afraid to say
I'll be happy whatever happens
I'll be myself every day.
Justyna

Growing Up
When I was young,
I could be anyone I wanted.
I wanted to be big.
I was always shy.
I thought I was invincible.
I always cried
I ran many times but was still slow.
I always imagined things
That never existed.

Now I'm more confident
I don't mess around.
I'm more sensible,
I'm very neat.
I'm not shy anymore.
I'm really tall.
I try to listen
I do my best.

In the future
I might be taller,
I could be busy.
I might be rich.
I could be poor.
I don't know what I'll be, but-
I AM OK.
Alan

Me
When I was young
I was free
I danced and danced
I was confident
I was young then.

Now...
I'm settled
Now...
I'm much, much happier
Now...
I meet new people
But that's now.

The future...
I could expect more in the future
Life has more surprises
I never know what I could do
And where I will be
So I guess it's up to God where
He will take me.
Peter

Me
In my early years,
When I was able to fly
When I was faster than formula one
When I was Superman
When I could beat all Olympic records
When my imagination was more powerful than a king
When I was indestructible
When I was living in my own world
I never thought about the past or the future.

These days I've forgotten the way to the stars
I haven't got any fuel in my rockets.
I cannot fly - I lost my wings.
I have to work
And dream of the past.

I hope the future will be a happy one
Fun and enjoyable for everyone.
Dorian

When I was Little
When I was little, playing kiss chase with the boys,
Changing in the same room, Singing in the toilets
Stripping off my clothes in public; without a care.
'Never again' I say now.

Food covered my face and hands.
Singing, shouting and screaming in shops.
Licking toes and biting nails.
'Never again' I say now.

'Mummy, pour teddy some juice' and 'Dolly's crying mummy'
One day I was a mermaid
Next day an explorer!
Elly Pelly always at my side.
But no one else can ever see her.
My dad would push me on the swing,
And my mum would tickle me and play.
'Never again' I say now.

My nan would feed me and cut my food-
'Choo Choo.'
I needed help to use the potty
And my nappy would be sticky.
You'd never get a chance to give me a kiss or cuddle-
I'd be off like lightning.
'Never again' I say now.
Ailis

Me
Whaen I was young, I always had a dream.
When I was young, my imagination was wild.
When I was young, I was very small.
When I was young, I liked trains.

Now I'm a better and smarter person,
I'm not afraid to speak up.
I've got courage.
I'm serious and sensible.

In the future
I'd like to be a graphic designer.
I don't know what I can be, but
I'll always be me and
I AM OK.
James.


No comments: