St Joe's Blog

St Joe's Blog

Tuesday 7 October 2014

Adventurous Writing!

Following our writing workshop with Janine Amos last week, we have discovered some great authors in Year 6.  Here are just a few extracts to enjoy:


As I stepped out from the farmhouse with my black leather coat and dirt-stained boots, I knew that my quest was starting.  The weather quickly changed as I got close to the hill.  Everything was different.  First I noticed the floor.  It was no longer strong; it had turned into a goo.  It felt like someone was pulling me into the earth with every step.  With all my courage, I walked into the forest.  There was something strange and dangerous about this part of the forest and it seemed to be getting steadily colder as I advanced into the woods… 

by Nile

 
On the day of their tenth birthday, the twins went to Leonardo’s house.  They were excited already as they were going to have their favourite meal.  As they entered the house, they saw an object covered by a dusty, old cloth. 
“Uncle Leo,” Raphael enquired.  “What is that?”
“That, my boy, is a metal detector.  You two can go out and play with it now.”
The twins’ mouths were wide open in amazement.  They thanked Leonardo, grabbed the metal detector and dashed out of the house.
After several hours of looking, they had found nothing.  Right before the moment they were to go home, the detector started to bleep like a mad thing.  Eagerly, Raphael dug a hole in the ground and found a box.  With all the might they had, they pulled the box out of the ground and found a name on it, saying “Treasure of Antonio Da Vinci”…

by Alexander
 

“Where am I?” questioned Eloise.  All around lay dry desert full with luxurious, smooth sand.  Laying around the edges of the golden sand, was a crystal blue sea.  Eloise stood up on her weak legs.  She turned around.  Behind her lay a broken burnt-up plane.  All the passengers seemed to have disappeared.

After a few minutes, Eloise decided to look around and find some clues.  She was walking along, the sand tickling her toes and her feet.  Suddenly, she saw something laid on the floor.  She picked it up.  It was an old map but not an ordinary map.  It was a… “Treasure map!” shouted Eloise in excitement.
 
by Talia.
 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello again everyone,
I really enjoyed reading these extracts - what marvellous writers you are.
I especially noticed your sensory descriptions: the gooey earth in Nile's piece, the sand tickling Eloise's toes in Talia's story, the dusty cloth in Alexander's writing - all are great at building atmosphere.
Happy writing!
Janine